Thursday, November 17, 2011

Before & After: Front & Back Doors


Matt and I started the kitchen redo last weekend and WOW is it an intense project?!?! I mean, I knew it was going to be a tough one, but it has pretty much been consuming every ounce of my life outside of work. All I have to say, is I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and I am SO EXCITED for everything to be completed. 

In the meantime, I wanted to show you all some before and after shots of our front door and back door. My apologies for the 'before' pictures, as they were taken after I had already done some prep work for the project, like taping or taking off the hardware. I did the doors the same weekend we did the bathroom cabinets and linen closet and it was more of a spur of the moment type of project. Lets just say, I pretty much fell in love with that Edward Dunn English Browne paint and was just looking for anything and everything to paint it with. Boy, am I glad I decided to do it because I think the transformation was much needed and actually inspired me to get going with the kitchen! I figured if a door can make my house look this much better, than a kitchen is going to do wonders. 

Front Door Before:
This door is one of those really old solid wood doors. It's difficult to tell from this picture, but the texture is not smooth. It's more like a raw cut and you can really see the swirly grain of the wood on it as well. I'm sure if you took it off the hinges it would weigh somewhere around 200 lbs. I can also tell it has been painted at least 10 times from all of the different paint colors on the inside track of the door. 

Front Door After:
  This is the door after going to town on it with the Edward Dunn English Browne metallic paint. This paint really brings out the natural grain of the wood and with some new pretty hardware, it looks good as new! Next on the list for the front entryway is to paint the walls, so the white trim pops and the door is the center focal point.  

Back Door Before:
Well, looks like you're getting a half-shot of the door before its makeover. The color of the door was just a basic wood color and added absolutely nothing to the room. In fact, it was actually distracting to the eye. The frame around the door was almost the same color as well, which was just about horrid.

Back Door After:
After applying the paint to the back door, I painted the wood trim white so that the door would really stand out. All of the windows in our home have faux white wood blinds, so we slapped a few on these bad boys and voila! Just like the front entryway, next on the list for this room is painting the walls as well.

Hope to have some kitchen pictures for you soon!

Have a lovely day!


Natalie

1 comment:

  1. looks so good, cant wait to get that paint on some stuff at my house!

    ReplyDelete