Thursday, December 1, 2011

Burlap Squares Advent Calendar

Between all of the traveling and kitchen remodeling Matt and I have been doing lately, I have had very little time to get ready and start decorating for the Christmas season.

Christmas time is definitely one of the best parts of the year so I thought I would start the decorating by making a quick little handmade Advent Calendar. Since I had so much burlap left over from the Harvest banner I made last month, I decided to use some for this project.

Here is a list of what I used to make this project:
  • Burlap
  • Off-white sheets (You can use an old one or just buy cheapies from Walmart)
  • Frame ($3.99 at Goodwill)
  • Hemp string
  • Thumbtacks
  • Mini clothespins
  • Stamps & Ink
  • Chocolate Coins

I started by taking the frame and spray painting it with Rustoleum Heirloom White spray paint. I know the frame already looked like this color to begin with, but it really needed a quick little refresher to make it look nicer.


Next, I cut the hemp string into 5 separate strings. I then took thumbtacks and tacked the end of each string to either side of the backside of the frame.


Once the frame was ready, I took the burlap and cut out 25 squares. The nice thing about the burlap is the squares don't have to be cut perfectly and it still looks cute. 


After cutting the burlap, I cut out 25 rectangular strips of the off-white sheets. (I had originally tried stamping the numbers on the burlap and well, that was not the best idea. I couldn't even make out the #1 so I scratched that idea and went with some cheapo Walmart sheets that I have for another upcoming project). Once I had 25 squares of burlap and 25 rectangular sheets, I stamped each of the rectangular sheets from #1 to #25. 


The final step is to take the piece of sheet with the appropriate number and lay it over the burlap and clothespin that to the hemp string. Then, take a piece of chocolate (I used gold coins) and stick that in the clothespin, on the back of the fabric. 


And...voila! You've got yourself a cute little Advent Calendar that can be reused every year (of course you will have to replenish the chocolate). This frame can also be used during the year to hang pictures or other miscellaneous things.
Counting down the days till Christmas...
 
Natalie

2 comments: