Tuesday, October 25, 2011

DIY Velvet Pumpkins


Hi Friends!

I would consider this past weekend to be both pleasant and productive! I was able to hike Squaw Peak (or I guess it's Piestewa Peak now) twice, spend some quality time with the most amazing woman in the world, my grandma (a.k.a. Nannie), and just catch up on life!

Although I kept pretty busy this weekend, I was still determined to squeeze in at least one quick and easy project. I originally got the idea for this project when I stumbled across a tutorial for 5-Minute Pumpkins. Since I didn't have much time, I decided this would be the perfect simple project for my busy weekend!

This is what we are making:
  •  Things you will need for this project:
    • Velvet fabric in fall colors
    • Polyster Fiberfill
    • Beans
    • Pumpkin Stems (You don't actually need the pumpkins in the picture, just the stems. I took the picture before my husband came home to cut the stems off. Those suckers are hard to cut off!)
    • Rubberbands
    • Sewing machine

Step 1: Cut fabric into square. For medium sized pumpkins, each side should be about 2 feet in length. Fold fabric in half so that the velvet material is on the inside. Sew the fabric closed on one side.

Step 2: Insert pumpkin stem into one end of the opening in fabric. Tie rubberband around fabric and base of pumpkin stem. Get this as far as you can to the base of the stem and make sure the rubberband secures all openings in that end of the fabric. 

Step 3: Hold base of stem and pull fabric over so that velvet part and top of stem is exposed.

Step 4: Stuff other end of fabric with polyester fiberfill.

Step 5: Once stuffing is pushed all the way to the top, pour a handful of beans on top. This will add weight to the bottom of the pumpkin to help the pumpkin sit nicely when completed.

Step 6: Push stuffing all the way up and tie end with rubberband.

Step 7: Cut remaining fabric so there is a tiny bunny tail at the end (or at least that is what I call it).

Step 8: Tuck "bunny tail" in as far as you can, turn pumpkin upside down, and you've got your velvet pumpkins!

These velvet pumpkins are a great addition to the fall decor in our home. These were so fast and easy that I may replace the orange pumpkins with jeweled colored pumpkins once Halloween is over. 

Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo!
 
Natalie

No comments:

Post a Comment