Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Seashell Canvases


Have I mentioned that I get bored super easily? Well, I do! My mind travels at about 10,000 miles per minute and I need to be doing something constantly to keep my mind occupied.  So, in between some big projects that my husband and I are currently working on, I have been doing some simple projects to keep me busy along the way.

I got the inspiration for this project while on one of our vacations to Ixtapa, Mexico. Ixtapa definitely holds a special place in my heart because that is where my husband proposed to me and where we got married a few years later. The night we were married, we had dinner at the beautiful Villa de la Selva restaurant, which is built on a cliff overlooking the Pacific Ocean. The owners of this breathtaking restaurant also continually rotate art from both local and international artists, which only adds to the incredibly romantic ambiance Villa de la Selva has to offer.

One of the many nights we dined there, I fell in love with some of the pieces they had on their wall. While being seated, I attempted to take a picture because I was determined to make these for my house. So, my apologies for the blurriness...I'm allowed to be blurry...we were on vacation after all!


 Actual pieces on the wall at Villa de la Selva.

Step 1: Started out with some painted canvases I had no use for anymore.


 Step 2: Paint canvases with acrylic paint. For this project, I used Americana's Bittersweet Chocolate acrylic paint and sponge brushes from Michaels.

 Step 3: Take desired ribbon/netting/floral wrap and staple to back of canvas.

Step 4: Super Glue desired starfish, seashells, or any beach-like things you can find.


Step 5: Let glue dry and hang on wall.



And...Our finished beach-themed bathroom!


What do you think? Do you like it?


Have a lovely day!

Natalie

1 comment:

  1. I love this, not only is the decor cute and inexpensive, but what a great momento for one of your favorite places!

    ReplyDelete